Benedictine Live-In Experience
Take a break from your regular routine to live and volunteer with us! Our Benedictine Live-In Experience offers an opportunity for women to refresh their lives by sharing in the prayer and work of a monastic community. You are invited to consider:
- Deepening your spiritual growth in the Benedictine tradition
- Taking time for a change of pace
- Fostering friendship and support with community members and other volunteers
- A woman out of high school and beyond
- Of any Christian faith
- No dependents
- Willing to commit to one to three months, with a possibility of renewing the commitment
- Willing to live within the Benedictine community and share tasks of daily living
- Willing to engage in volunteer service, including manual labor, with sisters and staff
- Responsible for personal expenses
- Provide own medical and hospitalization insurance
- Participation in offerings at the Spirituality Center•Studium and in other cultural activities
- Opportunity for a spiritual companion
- Liturgical and community celebrations with the sisters
- Access to the internet, monastery library, Oratory, and Sacred Heart Chapel
- Room and board provided
- Offer your talents and skills in volunteer and/or work opportunities
- Build community with sisters and other volunteers
- Break three times a day to pray Liturgy of the Hours with the sisters
- Join in the celebration of the Eucharist
- Participate in liturgical ministries
- Enjoy time for reflection, reading and leisure
Anna Taylor volunteered with us from July through October 2022. She spent three months immersing herself in the way of life at Saint Benedict’s Monastery and living, praying and working among us and was a delightful presence in the community. She also wrote a series of blogs about her time with us.
- You gain knowledge of what it means to be Benedictine and appreciate the commitment the sisters have made.
- It’s rewarding to provide volunteer service to the sisters who have spent their whole lives providing service to others.
- You experience a very powerfully peaceful atmosphere: time to relax, be still, and not feel pulled in a million different directions.
- You have time to reflect and reconnect to your own faith on a more meaningful and consistent level.
- You establish positive relationships with many of the sisters.
- It feels like coming back home to the College of Saint Benedict.