Health Care, Counseling, Social Services
The Sisters have always responded to the needs of the times. When they arrived in Central Minnesota in 1857, there was a critical need for health care services. When Dr. A.C. Lamothe Ramsay began a hospital, he requested assistance from the Benedictine Sisters. The Sisters’ care for the sick and elderly is reflected in the establishment or staffing of the St. Cloud Hospital, St. Cloud, Minn., in 1886.
Their dedication to serving the sick is evident in the establishment of other health care institutions throughout their history.
The Sisters continue their presence today in the Central and Metro Minnesota areas in hospitals, nursing homes and other health care institutions by providing nursing care, patient care, chaplain and spiritual services, patient advocacy and administration.
Several Sisters also serve those who need emotional support and direction. They do this as psychologists, spiritual directors, counselors and Jungian analysts.
Sisters are “voices for the voiceless” and strive to meet the marginalized in our world with the dignity they deserve. This history in social services began in St. Joseph in 1881 as they operated an orphanage. Their work multiplied to meet specialized needs of individuals and eventually spread as far as China, Taiwan, Japan and Brazil.
While the Sisters do not operate institutions as they once did, today they are involved with Hispanic, American Indian, Hmong and Korean communities. They visit the imprisoned and share liturgies with them. The Sisters are also active with Partners Across Borders and Medical Missionaries International. They also foster the education of African Benedictine women and Chinese women religious and seminarians through international partnerships promoting education and leadership in their native countries.